Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Amazon + TigerDirect = Should've gone custom

I defied my life's work promoting the custom industry and bought a Mitsu WD-60735 DLP from Amazon.com on black Friday. (Who could blame me? Only $979.)

I was going to buy the product from BestBuy.com for $999, but Amazon's offer came with free "white glove delivery."

They wouldn't just drop of the package in my driveway. They'd carry it up multiple stairs into my house, unbox it, plop it onto my TV console, and do some minor setup work ... and then haul away the packaging materials.

That's worth a couple hundred bucks, I'd say.

So when I called TigerDirect about the $62 in shipping/handling they added to my order, the friendly customer service guy told me that the FREE white glove delivery didn't come from TigerDirect. It was an Amazon thing.

OK, no biggie. Let Tiger have their extra $62.

So I contact Amazon about how to arrange the FREE white glove delivery, and they sent me a very cordial reply:

Amazon Marketplace items are sold by individuals or businesses, not by Amazon.com. Because that individual or business processes and ships your order, you'll need to contact the seller directly with any questions. Here's how:
Amazon Marketplace items are sold by individuals or businesses, not by Amazon.com. Because that individual or business processes and ships your order, you'll need to contact the seller directly with any questions. Here's how: ....

The seller can provide you the information about the "special white-glove delivery service".
I now have a message into Tiger, asking them to deduct the $62 s/h and let me know how to arrange for my FREE white glove delivery.

See why I always recommend custom??


No comments: