Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Dingo Ate my Roomba!

When I first cranked up my new Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner, I felt alive again -- watching the giant critter scoot around the floor, bumping into walls and correcting itself like, well, a drunken Roomba.

Enough of the folly, I retired to my office. But after 30 minutes … dead silence.

That can't be good. Sure enough, this powerful little bugger broke through my shoe barricade and was nowhere to be found. My husband and I searched everywhere. The screen door was open. Could it be?

There was no evidence that the guy flung himself into the ravine behind our house. (Wouldn't we have seen signs of its despair?).

We checked in every room of the house. We finally found the trouble-maker under our couch, snuggled in nice and tight.

I'm sure you're wondering: What do you think of the Roomba?

It's pretty darn good. Granted, it takes me about 12 minutes to vacuum our dining area. And I can get into the nooks that the Roomba cannot, even after 45 minutes of trying.

And here's a philosophical question: Are you really saving time vacuuming if you squander all that time just standing and marveling at this robotic wonder?

No comments: